Proudly Canadian

Proudly Canadian

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Xmas lantern

Hi everyone.  Well, I was totally inspired by Nicole from CanadianNickel Scrapn with her last tag challenging herself to use stuff that she didn't use and wasn't sure what to do with them.  So, my intention was to use what I have and have not used yet... well, that was my intention!  BUT... because I have a hoarding problem when it comes to scrapbooking supplies, I had to run right on over to our local scrapbooking store when she posted on her FB page that her order was in with a bunch of Tim Holtz stuff... Need I Say More!  ;)  

I am still inspired by Nicole's tag and I will still challenge myself in the same way, perhaps my next tag!  LOL  However this time, I had to get into my new stuff and do some playing.  Since Christmas is approaching quicker than I wish I am into Christmas tag mode.  :)  

I bought myself the Rustic Lantern die so that was my inspiration for today's project.   I also used the boughs from my Pinecone die set, and a dove from a QuickKutz die. 

 
 
The tag was colored in a marbling technique using Distress paints, vintage photo, frayed burlap and tarnished brass.  After I cut the lantern from grunge board, I took the body and covered the whole piece with distress embossing ink and distress embossing powder in vintage photo.  After embossing, I inked over top with vintage photo and walnut ink to give that rust look.  This is one of the techniques in Tim's Creative Chemistry classes.  The globe part of the die I used Distress paints in antique linen and scattered straw, once dry I inked walnut stain around the sides, then smothered the globe in Distress clear rock candy crackle for that shattered glass effect.   The tree boughs are from the Alterations Pinecone die set, and I inked them with Distress peeled paint, mowed grass and vintage photo.  After the dove was cut, I took some liquid glass and spread it over with my finger and then sprinkled on Distress glitter in broken china.  I stamped a sentiment onto a strip of paper inked in barn door.  The rusted snowflakes are some embellishments that I have had for years and not used.  So I did use one thing that I haven't used before.  :)  The red bow is some scrap ribbon I had in my stash.   
 
I really like the lantern, and I'm glad that I ran out to purchase it today.  The rusting technique is one of my favorite techniques I learnt from Creative Chemistry and I'm ecstatic that I was able to do it today along with the crackle.  Love crackle!!!  :)  
 
Hope you like my tag and off to contemplate my stash and dig out some stuff I've never used and see what comes from it, with Christmas still being the theme.  :)  Need to make Nicole proud, since she is the inspiration in using what I have.  :)   

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome!!!! OMG now I need this die! The rusting you rocked it. Ahhhh now I'm blushing. Thank you so much for all your kind words. Awesome lantern.

    ReplyDelete