Proudly Canadian

Proudly Canadian

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Tim Holtz Winter tag

Okie dokie... well, I got my thinking cap on came up with this Tim Holtz inspired winter tag. Don't get me wrong, not that I am wishing on any snow or cold just yet, but I've not yet done a winter style tag and I thought the diamond window cut out from my last project seemed to lend itself quite well to what I had in mind.  What do you think? 


Well, for this I used 2 tags.  One whole tag and the one that I had cut out the diamond cut from my last tag I made.  I used Distress ink Iced Spruce for this whole tag.  Yup only one color!  The bottom tag you can't see but because I have it layered with pop dots underneath I still edged the bottom tag in the Iced spruce. 

Next, I stamped my Tim Holtz snowman and just cut a square to glue under the window.  I edged this as well in Iced Spruce and brought the color inward but not so dark as to color in the image too much.  I just wanted a hint of the blue instead of the starchy white of the paper.  I let the ink dry just a bit and then patted on the Distress embossing ink, don't rub cause you don't want to smear the ink color (unless that is a look you are going for, but I wasn't).  I took my Ranger UTEE and covered the whole piece and heat embossed, then while still hot did more UTEE and heated it again, and one more time.  I wasn't even and parts cooled off to quickly before I got more UTEE on to stick so some areas are bumpy and others super smooth.  Which actually turned out ok and I kinda liked that it wasn't perfect!  It kind of made it look like imperfect pitted ice.  And you know what!  Tim Holtz is all about the imperfections which is one thing that I absolutely love about his inspiring creations!  So I'm learning to become an imperfect perfectionist!  A bit contradictory but anyone else who is the same will know exactly what I mean.  LOL 

Next it was time to make the top window portion.  Firstly, I inked the edges and the inside window edges with the DI iced spruce.  I pulled out my Tim Alterations embossing folder in Snow Flurries and rubbed my DI iced spruce onto the folder.  Make sure you ink the side that the writing is on so that the background is colored and not the snowflakes that will be raised.  I also made sure to cut the slit on the top of the folder so that the tag would fit thru the top portion.  Once it was put thru my cuttlebug, I took the embossing ink again and patted it onto the raised snowflakes, applied more UTEE and heat it to create a shiny glossy snowflake.  It looked great but wasn't quite enough for me so I added some Icicle Stickles to the snowflakes as well for some glitter, because snowflakes do glitter in the sun when they come down.  I looked at it and thought, nope still needs more bling.  So I added different sizes of clear jewels that I had from Doodlebug in Lily white.  That was their name for Clear!  LOL 

Once the stickles were dry I used the raised pop dots and attached the snowman in behind the window.  And then I added pop dots to the bottom tag in the 4 corners and carefully lined up the top tag and placed it onto the bottom. 

I still need to add some ribbon to the top, but that is pretty simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment