Proudly Canadian

Proudly Canadian

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Outdoorsy tag

Hi, here is a tag I made yesterday as a gift for a friend.  She likes outdoorsy stuff and so I tried to wrap my head around the outdoors.  What did I have in my stash that would be outdoorsy?  I had bought Tim's Alterations Tattered Pinecone die last year and have not yet used it.  I wasn't sure if I could use it in my Cuttlebug, since that is the only embossing unit I currently have, so I had to check online to see if anyone mentioned it working.  And I found a You Tube tutorial, whoohoo... it works.  So off to the races...

I started with my tag and smooshed Distress stains in mustard seed, spiced marmalade and walnut stain onto my craft sheet.  Gave it a spritz with water and laid my tag into the color and moved it around to color the whole tag.  I then took Distress inks in Scattered Straw, Rusty Hinge, and Walnut Stain to blend in the colors on the tag once it was dry.  Next step, I took the tag and embossed in Springtime background by cutting a slit across the top middle portion of the folder to allow the tag to fit thru on top.  (Loving that idea, thanks Tim!)  Once embossed I used Distress Ink vintage photo and an inking tool to highlight the raised areas.



Now that the tag portion is done, lets cut some pinecones and pine needles.  I just used random green and brown cardstock I had laying around to cut the pieces.  I think I cut about 8 or 9 of the pine needle branches and a couple of pinecones.  Once I got the pinecones rolled up and glued I gave them a spray with Imagine Walnut Ink spray.  These sprays are super intense and dark so it worked really well for the pinecones.  I lightly Distress inked the branches in Walnut Stain to give a bit more depth to them.  I glued the pine branches down with liquid glass cause I find it easier to glue the small spaces of the needles than using a tape runner or dots, and it dries fast too.  :)  Then I glued on the pine cones.  I added some metal embellishments that I found at Michael's and a little owl button that I had in my stash as well.  The butterflies were purchased at a dollar store and I thought the colors of them worked perfect with this tag and the outdoorsy theme I wanted to achieve.   Again, I used my thrifty eyelash yarn from the dollar store on top to finish it off.  :)

And that is it, my outdoorsy themed tag!  I hope she loves it.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment